Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Bit Photo Crazy {Balance Between Digital & Print}

Post oleh : Web3 | Rilis : 8:11 AM | Series :
My uncle and mother have asked me to scan a box full of old family photos. "But...but anyone can scan" I say, but it's too late — what's done is done (and they don't have a scanner). Actually I don't mind. I want these pictures. Scan a little every day and I'll eventually finish. Above are just a few of the many.

With lots of photos going digital (being taken with our new cameras or
cell phones) I think we tend to look at them once or a few times when they're current, sharing online, saving them on our computer and then never really go back to view them, forgetting. Maybe it's not a big deal (or even a mini-deal). It might just be good because it also means we're constantly sharing more of the moment. But I do think there's something to be said about a physical photo album.

I'm probably feeling this way today because I'm scanning this box of old photos, many which are over 30 years old, give or take decades, and I know a few stories of the people within them.


Life is to be lived in the present, but I guess I just like old photos.

So this family/picture nostalgia trip I'm on is due to all the scanning and okay, okay,
I've become a bit Instagram crazy (an iphone app). It's led me to wanting to create a few small and well edited photo albums. (Do you use the app? In case I'm under @papersquid).

PaperSquid InstagramA storm while at work (above).


My niece, Mila (above).
My boyfriend and me (above).At work.
Morning walk
My old little Nokia cell phone was good only for making calls, (the thing might have as well been a rotary phone), but I didn't care. I didn't need or want a new cell phone. I felt they were pointless and a waste of money. People spend to much time on them. Then I kind of saw the light when it came to photos. I know my new cell phone will never replace a standard camera, ever, but it works for me for random daily shots when out and about.

So yeah, digital is great but I don't want some photos to disappear in the forgotten eternal abyss of my hard drive. (And a part of me also says, 'oh well'.)

How do you feel about digital photos versus printed ones? Also do you print out your photos (remember the days of drug store 5x7's which was the only way you could see what you shot – unless you were a professional photographer of course) or do you keep all your photos digital? I'd love to know your thoughts.

google+

linkedin

Powered by Blogger.